14 September 2012

Homemade Diaper Ointment! CLOTH DIAPER SAFE!

I found this great recipe for homemade diaper ointment (cloth diaper friendly!) on Pinterest and I have wanted to try it! Normally we use Angel Baby or Motherlove and both are terrific! But I love the idea of making my own products and was very excited to give this a try. I had been collecting the ingredients for some time and finally had everything together, as well as a few spare minutes to create! Here is what you need if you want to give it a try:

1 ounce coconut oil – antiviral, antifungal, anti-yeast
1 ounce olive oil – antibacterial, antioxidant
1 ounce shea butter – anti-inflammatory, moisturizer
1 ounce cocoa butter – antiseptic, moisturizer
1/2 ounce beeswax – anti-inflammatory
grapefruit seed extract - antibacterial, antimicrobial
2 tsp chamomile flowers (dried)
 – anti-inflammatory, disinfect
your choice of essential oil (lavender, chamomile, sweet orange, etc.)


I was going to use containers from my Angel Baby ointment but I boiled water to sanitize them and they melted. Ooops. The plastic was too thin so I ended up using jars from my meaningful beauty products. I may invest in some glass jars for future use, now that I know it works! Here are some photos from my project! The link to the recipe can be found at the bottom if you want to give it a try!



These are all the ingredients except the beeswax. I ended up not using the jars on the right because they melted when I tried to sanitize them. 

The beeswax. 

I got this little pot as a free gift from Bed, Bath and Beyond when Chip and I registered for our wedding. It was PERFECT for melting!

I had a small strainer that I used to strain the chamomile and olive oil. 

The recipe says to use a double boiler but I kept the stove on very low and it worked perfectly!

The whisk attachment on my hand mixer was great for whipping the final product!

The ointment as a great scent. The cocoa butter is the strongest smell. I may use more essential oil next time. I used lavender and lemon, about 3-4 drops of each. The recipe says you only need 3 drops total. 

The Meaningful Beauty jars were perfect and they held more than my Angel Baby jars. 

This will last me at least a couple months! 


HOMEMADE DIAPER OINTMENT RECIPE

A couple of hours before, heat olive oil on low heat (do not bring to a boil) for 10-15 minutes.  Add chamomile flowers and stir for about ten minutes, then take off the heat and set to the side.
In double boiler, or on LOW heat, add coconut oil, STRAINED olive oil, shea butter, cocoa butter, and beeswax until melted.  Mix well.
After all ingredients have melted take off heat and move to a container that is safe for mixing.
Let the mixture cool.  Just before it hits room temperature, add 5 drops of Grapefruit Seed Extract, and 3 drops of your choice of essential oil.

Using a wisk, your stand mixer or handheld blender (not a regular blender),  mix on high speed until completely cool and in “whip” form.  If your mixture is runny or not turning into solid form, add more beexwax or cocoa butter – both are solid at room temperature.

4 comments:

  1. Hey! I know this is kinda off topic however ,
    I'd figured I'd ask. Would you be interested in exchanging
    links or maybe guest writing a blog post or vice-versa? My blog
    covers a lot of the same subjects as yours and I believe we could greatly
    benefit from each other. If you might be interested feel
    free to send me an e-mail. I look forward to hearing from you!
    Awesome blog by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My brother suggested I might like this website. He was totally right.
    This post truly made my day. You cann't imagine simply how much time I had spent
    for this information! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey fantastic website! Does running a blog similar to
    this require a massive amount work? I've absolutely
    no expertise in coding but I had been hoping to start my own blog
    in the near future. Anyway, if you have any suggestions or
    techniques for new blog owners please share. I understand this
    is off subject but I just wanted to ask. Appreciate
    it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have read so many articles regarding the blogger lovers but this piece of
    writing is genuinely a pleasant post, keep it
    up.

    ReplyDelete