05 September 2012

Elijah Meets Elizabeth!

Elizabeth Lammer Sutherland and I have been friends since I was 9 years old......that is TWENTY FOUR YEARS! Yowza. That is a long time. I am so happy that we have not only stayed in touch but maintained a pretty great relationship throughout the years. I had the honor of having her stand at my wedding, and I was asked and planned on standing in hers this past May but due to the timing of Elijah's birth, was unable to make the journey to my hometown of Berwyn, PA. Well, while we were in Ocean City, Chip and I decided to take a trip to the "Main Line" as my home is called, and visit our McLoone family. Well, it just so happened that Elizabeth was to drive in the night before from her current home in Chicago! So OF COURSE we had to stop by! She was staying with her parents so we got to see them as well.  It was so comforting to be in that home that I had spent so much of my childhood and very little had changed.  In a time and a world that has things changing CONSTANTLY it was like a big hug to walk into that house and be surrounded by familiar things. SO much has changed in my life since the days when Elizabeth (I always called her Beth) and I would climb trees in her yard, go sledding at Hillside Elementary where we both attended grade school (and is located basically in her back yard!  I was able to walk to her house from mine without crossing a street or even needing to walk on a sidewalk, through backyards.  I remember my elders talking of simpler times back then but, now, to me, those times seem so simple and wonderful.  It is a way of life that I long for, for my own son and any siblings he may have.  It was fun for me to share that way of life with Chip and Elijah, if only for an hour as we sat her the Lammer back porch, and then took a walk to Hillside so Elijah can enjoy the swings and sliding boards.  Such a wonderful way to spend a morning.

As soon as I walked in, Mrs. Lammer asked if she could "relieve" me of Elijah. Heehee. She just loves the little ones!

It had been at least 10 years since we stood in that kitchen together, maybe longer!

We had such a nice visit! Mrs. Lammer is a grandmother herself and we had a great time chatting about her grandchildren, including another one on the way!

Elizabeth just LOVED Elijah! She is going to make a great Mama one day!

They had upgraded the playground equipment at Hillside since I was there last. There was even more cool stuff than before!

Elijah went down his first slide!

We had some good visiting time under a tree while Elijah ate his brunch. 

I so wish she lived closer....BUT she is in CHICAGO so I know it will be easy to convince Chip that we should visit her!

Till next time Beth Lammer!

No comments:

Post a Comment