29 December 2012

Coconut Banana Muffins: Sugar Free, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Soy Free


I am always on the look out for recipes that are yummy and "free". What do I mean by free? Well, Gluten/Dairy/Soy/Sugar FREE! I was so excited to spot this recipe for coconut banana muffins in my favorite magazine, Kiwi that was easily converted into a "free" recipe! They are also a big hit with Elijah and Chip! Here is my converted recipe:

Ingredients:
1 cup rice flour
1/2 cup almond flour
1/2 cup buckwheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
3 large ripe bananas
1/2 cup coconut oil
2 large eggs
3/4 cup xylitol
1/3 cup coconut milk
1 tbs apple cider vinegar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup or so of coconut flakes (organic, no sugar) - this was not in the original recipe but I think it totally "makes" the muffins!

1. Preheat oven to 350 and grease muffin tins. I made 18 smallish muffins because I was not sure how much they would rise. You could easily divide into twelve so you only have to use one tin.

2. In a medium bowl, add the dry ingredients except for the coconut. Whisk to combine.

3. In a large bowl ( I used my stand mixer) add the mashed bananas, coconut oil, eggs and sugar. Beat for about a minute. Add milk, vinegar and vanilla and beat another minute. Add dry ingredients and coconut and beat well until just combined.

4. Use ice cream scooper or 1/3 measure to pour the batter into the muffins cups. Bake 24-27 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean inserted into the center of a muffin. (I actually baked mine for 22 since they were a bit smaller and they came out perfect so play with the time a little. Allow to cool. Store in an airtight container for up to 2 days!



No comments:

Post a Comment