19 December 2012

Homemade Calcium Supplement

I try to get a majority of my vitamins and minerals from the food I eat. However between managing our home and keeping up with a very mobile almost eight month old, it is easy to miss certain essentials in my diet. As a result, I have a few supplements that I take to stay in tip top shape, produce the healthiest milk for my baby and prepare my body for our next pregnancy journey. As I was going over my supplements with my chiropractor, he offered a great recipe for homemade calcium! This sounded great to me. As much I try to get the healthiest supplements for myself and my family, nothing beats homemade! So I thought I would share this new found knowledge!

1. First you take five eggs and put them in a container with a lid. It should be something that will fit them comfortably but not too big. 
2. Next, squeeze about 8 large organic lemons directly into the container. I have a lemon squeezer that helps to strain a bit but this is not necessary. There should be enough lemon juice to cover the top of the eggs.
3.  Place in the refrigerator for three days.  Gentle agitate the container a few times a day.
4. Remove the eggs. The shell will likely have dissolved (which is where the calcium comes from) into the lemon juice creating a milky consistency. You can still use the eggs. I made scrambled eggs with mine, though they did taste of lemon. 
5. Voila! Homemade calcium supplement! Take only a teaspoon a day. It stays good for up to a month! 

The Supplies - Organic lemons and organic, free range eggs

I used five eggs. Next time I will probably get a few more lemons because the juice barely covered the eggs. 
My little helper enjoyed the lemon rinds. 

You can see the lemon juice hard at work on the egg shells as soon as they are submerged. 

Just a teaspoon a day. There is very little flavor, just a little lemony. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment