13 December 2012

A First Tooth!


Elijah is cutting his first tooth! We thought he had started teething at about three months. He didn't really drool much but had this insatiable need to chew....and chew HARD! But four and half months passed with no sign of teeth. I began feeling his gums pretty regularly about a month ago but there was no sign of anything toothy. Then, when he got sick last week, I thought "Well, maybe there is a tooth coming through". It might just be coincidence but sure enough, I was feeling around last night and his lower left front tooth has surfaced! I thought I would feel some sort of bump or something as it tried to push through but there was nothing but a white edge pushing through! I immediately texted Chip who was still at work and then the rest of the family. Elijah and I did a dance around the room. I was so excited for him to reach this milestone and yet it was bittersweet. As anxious as I was for him to get his first teeth as any mother who wants to see their child grow and thrive, I love that little gummy smile of his and I have known that I will miss it. The days are numbered where I will look down at him and that same smile. My baby is getting closer to toddlerhood by the day and I just want to hold tight to these moments we have left of his babyhood. He seems so big to me now but there will come a time when I look back at seven moths old and think, "I can't believe he was ever that small".


No comments:

Post a Comment