14 April 2014

Easter Preparation Part I

56

We have six days until Easter and I am so excited to begin some family tradition this year! I have a lot on my list including ways to teach our boys about Jesus’s salvation and the meaning of Easter, some yummy things to eat to celebrate the day and and some fun ways to enjoy one another as a family.

One of the traditions I am super excited about is a book called Benjamin’s Box. It tells the story of a boy named Benjamin and his friend Eli who follow Jesus around in his last week before the resurrection, collecting different objects at significant biblical points. After the resurrection of Jesus, Benjamin realizes the true treasure was Jesus dying for our sins and he then uses his collection to tell others the story of Jesus. The idea behind the book (similar to resurrection eggs) is that our family will have something to represent each object that Benjamin collects and we will discuss the Story of Jesus’s last living week. Today I went through the  book and brainstormed ideas on what I can use for our tradition. I am excited to share this with our boys and Elijah enjoyed reading through the book with me as we began to prepare.

download

I also started making yummy goodies for the Easter baskets today. I like the idea of having a basket for each child then a family basket with goodies. I don’t like loading my kids up with tons of sugar and preservatives so making them myself ensures that I know exactly what is going into their sweet tummies and it is something that I hope they enjoy and recipes that they could maybe make with their own kiddos. Because it IS Easter and a very special occasion, I will use REAL sugar…something I know excites my husband especially. Of course some recipes will use honey but the ones I made today used actual sugar.

I made some yummy peanut butter eggs decorated with festive Easter sprinkles and coconut macaroons. I think these will be an awesome Easter tradition that our children will look forward to! Elijah got to be my taste tester of macaroons but he will have to wait until Easter Sunday to have an egg!

1

These turned out really yummy! I used raw sugar and pulverized it in the food processor! Love the texture the raw sugar gave these yummy cookies!

2

Elijah loved his job of “taste tester”!

5

I was really happy with how the peanut butter eggs turned out. Now truth be told, they would taste better with milk chocolate but since a majority of our house is dairy free we had to go with the darker variety!

The final Easter themed activity for today wasn’t really a preparation so much as a tradition that I started with Elijah last year. I loved doing theme photo shoots with him for different holidays and occasions and had purchased special hats for the babies in anticipation of this. Elijah had a set of bunny ears from Grandmother that I wanted to use. I had hoped to get some cute outdoor shots set up with props like I did last year but, as I keep finding out, not that easy to do these sorts of things with two tinys and an almost two year old. So I set up a “back drop” on my couch (a beautiful blanket made by Chip’s Granny!) and took some cute shots of my two bunnies and a chick!

1

Elijah preferred to stay in his clothes for the day for the pictures and since my main goal was cooperation……I just went with it. His shirt actually matched his ears quite nicely.

5

My big boy bunny

4

Just a quick “throwback” picture of my bunny last year!

14

My cute little boy chick

15

Elijah just loves his Rory

16

Thick as thieves

19

“Who is this crazy lady, Elijah?”

20

“I don’t know bro. Looks kinda cooky to me”.

21

I love that sweet smile….even with the bit of drool…

26

This boy just makes me smile

30

Something about this situation is very funny to Rory.

29

35

Our littlest bunny

37

He just looks like a little doll baby to me

41

Little Patrick <3

43

Such a little lamb…though he is dressed as a bunny

48

My Easter treats!

52

So precious

56

My sweet Elijah loves them so much. And I just love his giant heart.

57

I can’t believe these three are really ours. So blessed!

59

That last one just makes me giggle. Everyone has such a different expression. My three guys are just too funny and I cannot wait to see what the future brings to our family. I know that all of our Easters, Christmases and everything in between and around will be full of love. Seriously, such awesome kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment