07 April 2014

A Week of Sick Parish Littles

A couple of weeks ago, Elijah started to get sick. It had been coming on gradually, with a runny/stuffy nose and just continued until he was hit with a fever mild at first but then peaking at 102.6. Recognizing that this was not just allergies, I immediately treated him with elderberry extract and oregano oil (Doterra) for the day of and following his fever. The fever had hit on Friday night and by Saturday morning, Elijah was fever free and actually made it to swim class feeling pretty good. I don’t allow myself to stress too much about  cross contamination between me and the kids or between the kids and one another. Let’s face it. WE are going to get one another’s germs. I figured the twins has the benefit of breast milk antibodies and just kind of held my breath hoping they would not get sick….being too small for oregano oil or elderberry, that was about all I could do.

Well Patrick was hit with it first. The runny  nose came and sneezing and eventually coughs and congestion. Rory was soon to follow. Neither developed a fever nor did it seem to slow them down, though it did get worse at night and effect sleep for the three of us. It was a bit of a roller coaster. First Patrick would seem like he was getting better, and Rory was worse off. Then they would switch. I had bulb syringes from our planned home birth that I was using. I tend not to use those because they are a haven for mold but though I could just throw it away when it was no longer needed. I didn’t think of my nose frida. I’m not sure why. Well they both seemed to be better last Friday morning when we headed to San Antonio to see my folks and then about halfway there, Rory just started coughing and sneezing and crying. It was awful. I got to the point where we stopped at a gas station and I grabbed a straw and napkin thinking I would fashion my own sort of Nose Frida if he really needed me to get the stuff from his nose. Fortunately, nurisng seemed to ease his discomfort and I didn’t have to resort to that. (big gross factor).

When we got to San Antonio it eased up a little but then that night, the stuffiness just got so bad. My babies needed relief! What ended up working was a combination of saline, Nose Frida (which Chip picked up at a local baby store in San Antonio that I LOVE called Go Baby Go…similar to my local Nurtured Family store). Once we got home on Sunday night I added the vaporizer in the mix and I have to say, the combination seemed to do the trick! They are both still a little stuffy and sneeze stuff out on occasion but it is definitely manageable.

The Nose Frida (pictured above) is AWESOME! I used with with Elijah but not much. He really didn’t get sick until he was about eight months old and then it wasn’t so much of a mucus issue. Mama’s: this is something you want in your arsenal for sure! So I survived the first bout of sickness in the Parish household since the twins came into our lives.  I have to say, it was mild thanks to God and (I believe) the natural remedies I have come to rely on for my family. Unfortunately Chip woke up today feeling like he is getting it. My darling husband is crunchy tolerant but still prefers good ol’ antibiotics. Though he did text me and ask for ear candles. Smile

1 comment:

  1. I love our NoseFrida! Madison was rarely sick too, but the couple of times I needed it, it was a lifesaver. I always try to convince people that it really isn't gross.

    ReplyDelete