17 June 2014

Lactation Granola

My cousin made me a batch of granola in a postpartum care package for me and my boys. I have been on a granola kick lately and hers was the best I have tasted so I was inspired to begin making my own.  After my first batch, it occurred to me that this was the perfect treat for adding additional lactation support ingredients! And so, I added some and it was yummy with the added benefit of lactation support. The recipe is just a base. You can play with it and add things you might like to try or leave out some things that you could do without. I will put a * next to the lactation ingredients since I am always asked about those specifically.
*3 Cups of Oats
1 Cup of nuts (I like almonds or cashews)
1/2 – 1 cup of sunflower seeds
1 cup unsweetened coconut
1 1/2 cups dried fruit (raisin are a favorite but cherries and cranberries are really yummy!)
1/4 cup chia seeds
* 5 heaping tbsp BrewersYeast
*5 heaping tbsp ground flax seeds
1/3 cup honey
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup oil – coconut or sunflower are my favorites
1/2 tsp salt
4 tsp vanilla ( I tend to use more of this cause I love vanilla)
Preheat oven to 325. Combine wet ingredients and salt. Combine dry ingredients. Pour wet mixture onto dry ingredients and fold until completely coated.  Spread on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and press so that it is like one big flat granola bar. Bake for about 30-40 min. Keep an eye on it because you don’t want edges to burn. When finished allow to completely cool. Then break apart and store in a cool dry place. I put it in a ziplock bag. Great to be eaten as cereal!

No comments:

Post a Comment