18 February 2012

The Bradley Method of Natural Childbirth - Partner Coached Childbirth


Even before I conceived, I knew that I wanted a natural childbirth.  It took some time and research to determine what this mean to me.  After reading books, testimonials, web sites and some personal reflection, I came to the conclusion that to me, Natural Childbirth is no drugs, and no interventions.  I would never put my child at risk and I realize that there are times when these things are medically necessary however a natural birth is the ultimate goal.  We chose The Bradley Method, developed by Dr. Robert Bradley in 1965.  Teachers of The Bradley Method believe that - with adequate preparation, education and help from a loving, supportive coach - most women can give birth naturally, without drugs or surgery. The Bradley Method emphasizes measures that can be taken to help keep women healthy and low-risk in order to avoid complications that may lead to medical intervention.  I found a local teacher, Jenna Cole, and signed us up. 
Our fabulous instructor, Jenna!


We began our classes in January and have only a couple more to go.  I'd like to share of the exercises we do each week in class. This has been an incredible part of our journey to parenthood and has been a very important step in ensuring Elijah has the best start to life possible! 
We practice laboring positions. Our class is taught at the Katy Birth Center and we are given different  "stations" to practice different positions.  
An important part of The Bradley Method is relaxation....and what is more relaxing than massage. This is incorporated in many of the laboring positions. 
Unfortunately our birthing suite does not have a birth tub however we will be laboring at home at least part of the time and taking advantage of our own garden tub!
Chip does an excellent job of helping me stay relaxed
Every week we do exercises. These pelvic tilts will help Elijah turn to the proper position for birth
We end each class with a relaxation exercise. 
I know Chip is going to be an AMAZING birth coach! 

No comments:

Post a Comment