23 May 2014

Mama Parish’s Meatloaf–Grain/Dairy Free

Chip has always loved my meatloaf. Since I have eliminated wheat from mine and Elijah’s diet for the most part, I have been trying to find a decent meatloaf recipe that falls in our dietary guidelines. I recently came across one that came close….but not quite. They always tasted like they were missing something. Then it occurred to me…….a secret ingredient. Gluten Free Pretzels instead of bread crumbs! So I gave it a try and you know what? DELICIOUS! So here is my new meatloaf recipe!

2 lbs ground beef

2 cups of mini pretzels
2 eggs
1 medium onion
5 cloves of garlic
1 tblsp onion powder
2 tblsp garlic powder
2 tblsp papri
1 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg
optional–1/2 tsp ground mustard

Steps:

1.  Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Spray an 8x8 pan with olive oil. ( I press the meat mixture into the 8x8 pan. If you don’t have that size, you can form a “loaf” and put in another size pan.
3.  Dice onions and mince garlic. Saute the onions in olive oil  until they are translucent and then add the garlic for a couple of minutes.  Do not burn the garlic!

4. Pulverize the pretzels in a food processor then mix with the eggs and seasonings in a large bowl.

5. Add the meat and the onion mixture. Be careful as onions will be hot. Mix everything together with your hands and then press into pan.

6. Bake in the oven for about 50 minutes. A meat thermometer should show a temp of 165 degrees when temp is taken from the center of the meatloaf.

No comments:

Post a Comment