28 August 2013

Quick Italian Vegetable Pie

This yummy concoction was given to me by my mother in law who got it from an old friend of hers years ago. It is basically a quiche without the crust (so gluten free!). It turned out really yummy and you can get quite creative with it. I made the original recipe since I am eating diary through my pregnancy. (Poor Elijah had to have plain old scrambled eggs for dinner that night.) But there are ways to make this dairy free pretty easily and I will definitely do that after the babies are born and I am nursing!

Ingredients:
10 1/2 oz spinach - if frozen thaw and squeeze dry
OR 8 oz of broccoli or zucchini
Sliced fresh mushrooms (I love mushrooms so I used a lot!)
14 oz lowfat cottage cheese OR 8 oz plain yogurt. ( Coconut milk yogurt to make dairy free)
8 oz of shredded mozzarella (or non dairy cheese of your choice!)
1/4 cup of Parmesan. ( I omitted this altogether cause it just seemed like an awful lot of cheese)
2/3 cup of chunky salsa (drain juice) - I forgot to drain. Whoops.  Still turned out great.
4 eggs
1 tsp (or so) Italian seasoning or salt,pepper,onion powder,garlic powder,oregano ( I used the combo of spices and herbs so I could control portions and I always use a bit more than it says
Ready for the oven!
Directions:
Spray pie plate with olive oil or cooking spray. (I used a 9x9 pan and it worked beautifully. ) Mix together all ingredients. Put in pie pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 min to 1 hour or until set.  (I def recommend at least an hour. I left it in for a few minutes longer.

*Can be prepared ahead and refrigerate until time to cook. Can cook and reheat later!

I served with honey dew and breakfast potatoes. A yummy twist on dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment