01 August 2015

The Big Latch On–Houston 2015

16

For the third year, we were counted and for the second year in a row we were counted as two, latching on my sweet twin sons.( Here is the blog post for our first and second year participating)  The Big Latch On in a world wide even during World Breastfeeding week every year. On this day, everyone around the world latches on together and is counted to help normalize society’s views on breastfeeding and show support to mama’s everyone in their breastfeeding journey and struggles. Every since my first baby’s first latch in the recovery room of Texas Woman’s Hospital that fateful night of April 26, 2012, I have fallen in love with the blessed act of nursing my child(ren). I have been blessed to amazing nursing relationships with all three of my children and the love and support from friends and family to accomplish all of my nursing goals that I have set and continue to set as my nursing journey continues with my eighteen month old twins. However, not all mamas are so blessed. There are women out there that struggle with supply, support and confidence all of which are important elements in achieving personal breastfeeding goals. I love this event because it is a way to share with the community this love and passion and to maybe help reach some people who need help or understanding. I love this event because it is an excuse to see some of my favorite and most supportive friends, many of whom my contact is limited to mostly social media and occasional texts because of our busy lives as stay at home and work at home Mamas. I love this event because I got to tandem nurse my twins in public. Let’s face it.  Nursing in public is one thing. I do all the time, uncovered and with no shame. But to tandem nurse, especially toddlers, you basically have to be topless and while I do consider myself a lactivist, tandem nursing anyone but the parks where I get my nursing photos done, is not really in my comfort zone. But at the Latch On, I get to (ahem) just whip ‘em out and nurse on! Heehee. So this event is amazing on so many levels and I hope that I have future opportunities to participate as a breastfeeding Mama!

2

Like tandem nursing, tandem baby wearing takes a lot of focus and concentration. Because I wanted to really focus on and enjoy the Natural Parenting Expo that hosted this year’s local latch on my sweet bestie, Mallory, agreed to come and wear one of my sweet boys in one of my Kinderpacks as well as take some photos……because we all know this must be documented.

3

I started the day wearing my sweet Rory in one of my other Kinderpacks.

4

Maureen is one of many friends I have met through our local natural birth community. She is definitely the friend with the best hair.

6

I met Abby when I asked her to be my birth photographer for my twin pregnancy. I can’t tell you how it lights up my day to see her with her own precious and highly anticipated baby, Rocco Supernova. yes, that is his real name and it is almost as awesome as he is.

7

A little pre-Latch On latching on.

8

My sweet boys love to give their mama kisses.

11

This picture looks a lot sweeter than the moment actually was. It is not all puppies and rainbows. Sometimes they claw at one another and me trying to get sole ownership of my boobs or just me in general. Come on guys, there are two of them and two of you.

13

My sweetheart babies.

15

Another awesome friend. I met her at my midwife’s birth stories night… when I was still in my first trimester. Andie just has this beautiful energy and I felt immediately connected to her.

17

Once the latch on got going, Patrick abandoned me and Rory finished things up for us.

19

Nurse all the babies!

18

We were counted!

No comments:

Post a Comment