12 May 2013

My Second Mother's Day

 This year was my second Mother's Day as Mama to our incredible little Elijah. Elijah and I got back from a fun trip to San Antonio to see my parents late the night before so we were looking forward to a relaxing Mother's Day. The only thing we did away from home was go to church and I am so glad we did (as I always am!). One of my favorite parts about singing in choir is looking out into the congregation and seeing my little boy smiling back at me from his Daddy's lap. I give him a wave and he smiles even bigger. I wonder if one day, his fond childhood memories will include seeing his Mama singing praise songs.

Pastor Mark literally "knocked it out of the park" with his Mother's Day sermon. The mothers were acknowledged but then we focused on those that might find Mother's day sad occasion. Those that lost their mother's, lost their children or were desperate for children but had not been so blessed. It was a time of deep reflection for me. I had been a part of that group and in a way, I will always be. I long for another baby to join Elijah in the ranks of kid-dom in our home. As he is getting bigger, I feel that yearning for teeny tiny flutters in my belly growing bigger and bigger and yet, it is not as simple as deciding to have another baby. BUT..........life is so good. Life is good like it never has been before. Of course our days have their ups and downs as they do for anyone but I look back at the darkness in the years leading up to Elijah's conception and am so grateful for my life, my son, my husband and my God who makes it all possible. I will always feel a kinship with my sisters in infertility and my heart will always break for those that have not yet held a baby in their arms that they could call their own. And it makes my heart full to hear their pain acknowledged. I have several friends that are still waiting on their miracles and I think of them daily.

After church, we decided to head home and spend a quiet afternoon together since Elijah and I had done lots of eating out and traveling in San Antonio and just needed a break. Chip and Elijah had some fun surprises for me at home and I just enjoyed being with my family.

Presents waiting to be opened after church.

Mama and Elijah ready for church!

Great service and now it is time to go home and relax as a family!
Elijah had fun practicing his gift opening skills.

What could it be?

Yeah! A utility tote! I have wanted one for so long and I love the pattern of flowers and ladybugs! Elijah was ready to go for a ride!

Elijah had a special surprise for Mama.
The gift from my sweet boy. I can't wait to find a frame for it!

My guys are so thoughtful.
It was a great Mother's Day. Thank you to my favorite boys for making it such a nice day!

No comments:

Post a Comment